Since working at sea comes with certain dangers, seafarers must know how to keep themselves safe and how to handle any emergency that may come up while on-board. If you are an aspiring seafarer, getting certified in Basic Training should be on top of your to-do list.
What is Basic Training?
In one word, this training is about safety. Also known as “BT,” “SOLAS,” “BST,” or “Basic Safety,” Basic Training is a mandatory course designed to teach seafarers (1) personal survival techniques, (2) fire prevention and fire-fighting, (3) elementary first-aid, and (4) personal safety and social responsibilities in keeping with Section A-VI/1 of the Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers, 1978, as amended.
Basic Training is a prerequisite to many things in the maritime industry.
Foremost, the Maritime Industry Authority (MARINA), the Philippine’s governing agency for maritime affairs, will require Basic Training. Everyone who wants to work onboard commercial vessels (35GT above) and fishing vessels (50GT above) must have a Seafarer’s Record Book (SRB) or “Seaman’s Book,” and only after receiving a certificate in Basic Training at an accredited Maritime Training Institute (MTI) will you be able to file your SRB application at MARINA.
When you start your job hunt, shipping companies will ask for your Basic Training certification as well. Vessels, companies, and job positions require skills and knowledge that you need to learn by taking additional training. Basic Training is, of course, a prerequisite to these advanced training courses, such as Advanced Training in Fire Fighting (ATFF) and Ship Security Awareness Training and Seafarers with Designated Security Duties (SDSD).
How do I get certified?
- Register for the course at a MARINA-accredited MTI like PNTC Colleges – MTC.
- Our Requirements
- one (1) photocopy of one (1) valid government-issued ID
- Seafarers Registration Number (SRN)
- partial or full payment of the training fee
- Basic Training is a mix of lecture and practicum. Since practicum activities are physically demanding, you must be medically fit for the course. Basic physical exam is included in our course package.
- a maritime degree in college is not required
- Our Requirements
- Attend the lectures and practicum activities. Check out our facilities here.
- Receive your Certificate of Completion after the training. At PNTC Colleges – MTC, the Basic Training certificate will be ready for claiming the next working day after completion of training.
As the word “basic” in its name suggests, a lot hinges on the Basic Training certificate. If you are serious about getting into the seafaring industry, then enrolling in this training course is a good starting point (as for other training courses you will need, we recommend checking with your target company first).
Inquire now and get started at PNTC Colleges – MTC.